I'm passionate about philosophy, but after having my girls I'm even more passionate about Mommy Matters

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Reading, Writing, and No Arithmetic

    
Squeeker's Birthday was awesome, I can't believe she is 14 months already!

     So far this year has been wonderful, horrible, and crazy all at pretty much the same time. Squeeker and I have been sick four times already, mostly just colds, but dang those colds know how to stick around. I have been having many family/personal issues that I will not divulge here, but I hope it is sufficient enough to say that I have been an emotional wreck on more than a few occasions. As for the good things, I have been reading and writing A LOT. These are my go-to coping mechanisms, thus I have been surviving by escaping and discovering new landscapes. 
     These are all excuses, reasonable or not, for not being more consistent at blogging this year. I have been writing, yes, but mostly poetry and fiction. My poetry page will reveal a couple of new poems, as well as a few revisions on old ones. I have also been submitting my work to poetry competitions in the hope that someone other than my mom and husband will read them. "Eve in Her Garden" has recently been accepted into the semi-final round of a poetry competition put on by Eber & Wein Publishing. I am now also qualified to have it published in their amateur poet anthology. If it makes it to the final round then I will also be eligible to win a cash prize. I'm trying not to get my hopes up for more, because at this point I'm just thrilled that my poem will be able to be printed and read world wide in the years to come. Hopefully more good will come of it and I will get more of my writing out there, but for now this is enough to make me feel validated.
     I have also been working on some longer fiction pieces, but I can't even promise to myself that I will finish them. However, a poet did tell me earlier this evening to, "Persist. Persist despite everything." I will. It has always been my dream and I am blessed with a husband who is loving and supportive of all that I do. My daughter is proving to be very supportive as well, as long as I work on my writing while she is asleep. In all honesty, I wouldn't have it any other way. She comes first and she always will, I just have a very part-time job on top of my mommy duties now. 
     The reading has been very fun as well. To see all that I've been reading you can look at my Goodreads page and request to be my friend. However, I do want to highlight some of my favorites so far. Whelm by Dawn Lonsinger, a previous University of Utah professor of mine. Scrap Iron by Mark Jay Brewin, another amazing poet whom I had the privilege of meeting recently. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, this is her first novel, it was published just about a year ago and it has already been published in 20 different languages. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, I tried to avoid reading them but was hooked by the first chapter of the first book. Lastly, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, a poignant modern gothic tale that haunted my dreams. 
     Anyway, that was my shameless plug for following one's dreams and reading more books. I will try to be better at posting, but I can't promise anything. I will once again commit to updating my pic a week page though, that much I should be able to do. 



                             In case you don't know, that is me with Hannah Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment