I'm passionate about philosophy, but after having my girls I'm even more passionate about Mommy Matters

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tubby Time!

Rubber Ducky

Rubber Ducky, you're the one, 
You make bath time lots of fun, 
Rubber Ducky, I'm awfully fond of you!

Rubber Ducky, joy of joys, 
When I squeeze you, you make noise! 
Rubber Ducky, you're my very best friend, it's true!

Every day when I 
Make my way to the tubby 
I find a little fella who's 
Cute and yellow and chubby 

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine 
And I'm lucky that you're mine 
Rubber Ducky, I'm awfully fond of you.

Every day when I 
Make my way to the tubby 
I find a little fella who's 
Cute and yellow and chubby 

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine 
And I'm lucky that you're mine 
Rubber ducky, I'd like a whole pond of -
Rubber ducky I'm awfully fond of you! 

     I loved this song when I was a kid! (I still do) I also loved bath time and water in general. (I still do) I spent a lot of time sitting in the tub playing and making up stories. (I still do... when no one else is around) 
     So far it seems that Squeaker likes bath time just as much as I always did growing up. I was not with her during her first bath, but Husband was and it doesn't look like she enjoyed it at all. 

 

 














     








     













     I personally think it was because I wasn't there and they were doing it wrong. She doesn't react this way when I give her baths. Either that or she was traumatized enough by the day's events already and really really didn't want to go through this so soon after enjoying life inside of her own personal jaccuzi. 
     
     Squeaker's baths are like this now (they don't accurately depict how big of a spazz she is):























     I usually giver her baths twice a week because of our hard water, it dries out her skin pretty bad and she isn't really dirty anyway. I wish I could give them to her more often and probably will in the future, just making me use more lotion on her everyday, because they relax her and she likes them so much. She sleeps better after having a good warm bath, which makes me think that it will become part of our bedtime routine later on. 
     I was a little nervous bathing her for the first time at home (in her bathtub, not a sponge bath). She was so slippery and still couldn't control her own head obviously, so it was kind of scary. I would definitely recommend that new mothers do not bathe their little one alone at least the first time, especially because you might forget something and you can't leave the baby alone to go get it. 
     Did your kids always love bath time? Where did you bathe them? My mom gave me baths in the sink for a long time, pretty much until I could sit in the bath tub on my own for awhile without her worrying about me. I give Squeaker baths in her own little pink plastic tub, but she is getting so big I don't know how long it will last. I started out using a little hammock-type thing that came inside of the plastic tub, it restricted where Squeaker could go and made bathing her easier while she was so small, but she outgrew that after only a couple of months.   
     I have these items handy when I bathe her: Aveeno baby shampoo/body wash (Squeaker's pediatrician recommended it instead of other brands because it doesn't have extra scents or fillers that will dry out the skin or irritate it, I use Aveeno lotion after her baths for the same reason), two wash cloths (one of them goes on my hand like a puppet and has a duck face on it, Squeaker goes crazy over it and loves to suck on it while I bathe her), a towel, and a couple of bath toys. Squeaker splashes a lot, so I wear something I don't care about getting drenched in the process. 
     In general her baths are not difficult, but sometimes she is way too crazy and excited, leading me to simply doing my best while she squirms around. I use this time to try soaking her feet and hands, making sure I get between every finger and toe because she always manages to have something there. 
     I've noticed that bathing is a big question for a lot of new parents and there is quite a bit of information about it online. My advice: don't stress, it's not rocket science it's a bath. Not much can go wrong with you right there guiding your baby and however you do it is right. You're the parent and you decide what is best for your baby, always.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff couldn't wait for the umbilical cord to fall off Scott to give him his first bath so he got a handful of baby wipes, stripped Scott down and promptly started to "bathe" him. Needless to say, the towelettes were cold thus making Scott cold...and mad and broke Jeff's heart because he wanted to bathe him so bad. We made sure that when the time was right daddy got the desire of his heart and Scott made it into a warm tub.

    New parents go thru a lot of trauma learning to be parents but we all manage to survive and still love each other in the process!

    ReplyDelete