I'm passionate about philosophy, but after having my girls I'm even more passionate about Mommy Matters

Friday, June 28, 2013

Trying Solid Foods for the First Time?

     "People who love to eat are always the best people." ~Julia Child

     So, Squeaker is coming up on five months old and the next big step in her life is that of beginning to eat solid foods. There are a lot of different people telling me different things concerning when and what to feed my daughter. Now I just have to figure it out and make the decision myself I guess. Squeaker is a pretty good sleeper sometimes, but I would really like for her to be more consistent with sleeping through the night. I've heard a lot of people say that starting to feed your baby solid foods, maybe adding a little oat meal or rice cereal to his/her meal before bedtime, helps to get them sleeping through the night better. My pediatrician says that I can start feeding her solid foods whenever I want, but breast milk is still the best for her nutritionally and in an ideal situation she would go six months of being solely breastfed before starting to eat other stuff. However, I know that there isn't some magical transformation that occurs at six months and Squeaker is within the time frame of being "around" six months. I found this website that gives advice about how to tell when your baby is ready to eat solid foods. I like the advice in it and it looks like according to the milestones that a baby should go through before being given solid foods are all ones that Squeaker already has passed, except for one: she has not yet doubled her birth weight. She is only a pound off right now, so maybe I'll wait until she has done that as well? 
     I'm not sure when to start feeding her solids, but either way I'll need to get started in about a month if I haven't already. So, I'm also wondering what I should start out with. Here is an article I found about constipation in babies, signs to look out for and common foods that cause it. One of the constipation-causing foods listed is rice cereal, which I have discovered to be a very common starter food because it is so easy to add to milk and thicken it up. A lot of other parents say they started all in and gave their baby some puréed fruit or vegetables for their first solid meal. I'm really excited to try and I know that is all I have to do, try, because every baby is different. However, I am a worrier sometimes and I want to start Squeaker off right. I know I'm making a bigger deal of all of this than I should, but at the same time it's hard to know and this is my first time going through all of this. 
     I have decided that I will be making my own homemade baby food, trying to buy the processed store products as a last resort on a vacation or something. My mom recently gave me a Ninja for my graduation gift and I'm excited to test it out and use it to make Squeaker's food. I think this process will help me to feel better about what Squeaker is eating because I will still have control over it and know exactly what is in it, instead of looking at the ingredient lists on labels (which are always written so you pretty much need a degree in chemistry to understand them). I'm thinking that sweet potatoes will be a good one to start out with, bananas, avocados, apples, and carrots all seem like safe ones too. Squeaker's pediatrician also mentioned the possibility of adding Pedialyte to make foods thinner or as a supplement if she needs extra liquids. Did anyone else use Pedialyte and find it helpful? There are so many different options out there, it is hard to choose and know when to use them. Anyway, this is my little rant for the day on being a confused new mother. Thank you for taking the time to read it.
     I would love some feedback here, how did you other mothers decide when it was the right time to start feeding your babies solid foods? What solids did you start out with and why? How do you feel it worked out/would you have done something differently?


I have found that Squeaker likes to eat her foot, I'm not sure it is very safe or nutritious... Husband and I think it's pretty funny though.

This pillow shaped like an owl also appears to be a hit.

This picture is just cute, I love my baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment