I'm passionate about philosophy, but after having my girls I'm even more passionate about Mommy Matters

Monday, April 15, 2013

Traumatizing Doctor Appointments

     I'm not usually one to have issues with doctor appointments or associate pain with seeing doctors. However, last week I was given reason to think differently (even though I volunteered Squeaker and I for the procedures)
     Let me explain - Squeaker had her two month immunizations and I had my IUD inserted within the last week.
     The face that Squeaker is making in this picture, although very sad, is not even close to the trauma-ridden face she made when she received her first immunization shots. At first she was fine, laying on the doctor's office table completely relaxed, but I watched as her little body registered the fact that it was in a kind of pain it hadn't ever experienced before. Her face became a bright shade resembling fire engine red, she began a silent scream, which quickly progressed into repeated sharp cries and tears welled up immediately. I haven't felt so bad for anything or anyone in my life, it was definitely traumatizing for both of us. I was able to calm her down after a few minutes before we made the drive back home and she slept some of the pain away. The whole rest of the day her little legs ached, Husband and I slowly stretched them out, as well as massaged them while she drifted in and out of a fitful sleep. I'm grateful that she didn't have a fever or any other symptoms. She also didn't seem to have any issues during the days following, but I pretty much never want to take her to the doctor's office ever again. I will, of course, knowing that the immunizations are helping her and I'm grateful that she is healthy. I might give her some infant Tylenol before we go next time, I just didn't want to drug her unnecessarily before knowing what would happen. I know I'm being a tad dramatic, but as soon as I became a mother Squeaker's pain has given me pain. It is truly an odd phenomenon
     Now for my appointment story, which was not as painful as I thought it would be. However, the aftermath has also been frustrating. During the actual placement of the IUD I simply felt some pinching and cramping. After the IUD was placed I sat up, feeling warm and dizzy, so I had to wait awhile in the doctor's office before driving. The dizziness didn't last long and I felt fine for awhile, but about an hour or two I started to have intense cramping pains. I had to stop cleaning and doing things around the apartment, resting on the sofa after taking some ibuprofen instead. Ever since the IUD was placed I have had intermittent pinching pains and bleeding. I just want my body, especially my feminine parts, to be normal again! (Sorry if this is too much information) 
     So, I really don't like doctors lately and I am not looking forward to going again.
At least I have this cutie to spend all of my time with now. She makes even bad days worth living through. 

3 comments:

  1. I was always able to hold Elanor while they gave her shots. While she still cried and was upset, I think it helped. It sounded like she was laying on the table/bed thing, am right? If so, next time hold her while they give her the shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, I didn't know I had an option because they just told me to lay her down on the table. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I agree with holding them! Almost all of Macie's shots were given at the health dept which doesn't even have tables and we just crossed her arms and held herr tight. I think we both did much better.

    ReplyDelete